Do you have a highly visual mind? I do not, and I hope this isn't another disorder I may have, but apparently there is a name for it now: "aphantasia".
I was always fascinated by NLP (neurolingustic programming) a school of thought that that postulated that people have a "primary communication channel" - which was either visual, auditory or feeling/action (kinological). People of different "types" were said to have different characteristics and if this is true, I was likely in that last type - feeling/action oriented.
For example, people with visual minds are quick thinkers - I can attest to that as I had a girlfriend with a highly visual mind that was lighting fast - to the point where she said it caused problems for her sometime. I had a work associate once who had an amazing ear - he would remember everything anyone said, and the "tone" in which it was made.
The idea that there are different "types" like this is controversial, but it was somewhat comforting to think that a deficiency in one area might mean more power in another. Still, I think I am jealous of those with visual minds. I can bring up some imagery but "thinking in pictures" is a little beyond me.
http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2015/08/some-people-cant-form-pictures-in-their-heads.html
I think in pictures and words. It works well for me until I get to a math concept that can't be easily visualized...then I'm stumped.
ReplyDeleteI seem to be blessed with several it's wierd
ReplyDeleteI think in full video with CGI imagination. And I hear stuff in tone with the ability to transcribe melody into an adjacent key in the same scale. Unfortunately, when it comes to abstract stuff like advanced math, my brain will simply wander away. It's a fight to stick with an equation I cannot conceptualize, like herding cats.
ReplyDeleteI can see great pictures in my mind's eye, I can imagine so fully how I want to change a room that when I enter I get disappointed that it is not done.
ReplyDeleteThere all kinds of data running threw my head what you call that ?
ReplyDelete