Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Google wants us to use Linkedin for Small Business.

Google wants us to use Linkedin for Small Business.  This is an official Google Page and this is the group that runs the "Google Small Business Community".   I must admit, this one has me scratching my head.  Several  people have asked me what Google is doing with this community, and I always have to tell them I have no idea.  

When Google first launched this community, it had few members and wasn't getting much traction, and I was contacted by their previous community manager asking about my "Entrepreneurs, Self-Employed & Small Business" community which at the time was much larger then theirs.  

They subsequently routed traffic to themselves so have quickly grown to over 500,000 members but their purpose has never been clear to me.  I thought it was to help small business make more effective use of Google technology, but apparently I was wrong.   I am sure they have some justification for this, but it still seems odd.  What next - will Google want us to use Facebook for Small Business? 

Originally shared by Google Small Business

Did you know that LinkedIn members are almost 50% more likely to buy from a company they engage with on the platform? Join us this Friday as we chat with Jason Miller from LinkedIn during our first #SocialMedia Month Live Video Q&A. RSVP and submit your questions below. 
https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/ces5heccn3aijecmd2v67qpf70s?e=-RedirectToSandbox

13 comments:

  1. There is nothing that makes me think it's fake, but the profile isn't verified and Google usually does that for their pages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris McIntosh No, it is real.  They probably think they are helping small business is some kind of '"generalist" way, but it just seems like it must be out of line with their mission - but then, I really don't know what their mission is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Google makes a lot of money off of small businesses. They want them to do well. LinkedIn helps them do well. Win win win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ryanne Dolan Yeah, that is probably their justification. - but it sure comes across as unfocused.   Would you think the same if they were promoting Facebook?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well if you remember they recently gave Google+ a twitter account.  It gets minimal activity from other users, but it's there and they post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rob Gordon I guess that depends on whether Facebook helps small businesses in a way that Google can't.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Plus, I don't think LinkedIn and Google are quite the mortal enemies you might think they are. We are in the process of working with Google to convert our entire company over to gmail, drive, hangouts, etc, after a decade of running everything in-house. We are next-door neighbors in Mountain View and some of our top execs came from Google. I'd say we are on friendly terms and operate in different markets.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ryanne Dolan I never said I thought that Linkedin and Google are mortal enemies - please don't put words in my mouth.   Are you the one giving this seminar?    I think it is great that you are supporting your own product, but I have never been able to get help from this community about Google issues that are very important to me, so it seems strange that they are supporting Linkedin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LinkedIn is a very good B2B community dedicated only to such contacts. It is like an elite audience inspite of having members at different levels of professional development.
    50% sort of feels on the big side, however if people businesses are looking for a reference on you - that is the place they will find a snapshot of who you are - a CV on demand!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rob Gordon I didn't actually say you said anything. Just that you might think it. I think people in general like to think of companies as adversarial.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And no I have nothing to do with any of this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ryanne Dolan I don't think tech companies are always adversarial - I would actually be more concerned about collusion.   In any event, I like Linkedin and the hangout itself sounds interesting  - I might participate or watch it later. 

    I just find the support for Google products so bad - especially with regards to Google Communities, that it seems they would want to get their own house in order first.

    ReplyDelete