Tuesday, September 5, 2017

What do you think about Mentoring?


What do you think about Mentoring?

Have members of this community had experience with mentoring? May I ask that you share your experience - good or bad - with mentors? I am doing some research to try to learn "best practices" with mentoring and have been finding a good deal of confusion - even misinformation on the mentoring process and nobody seems to know what works, or why.

While I think many - probably most mentors sincerely want to help others, there is sometimes an "superior, subordinate" vibe that turns me off. The approach that one person took to success can seldom be taken by another; "No man can step in the same river twice" as the Greek philosopher Heraclitus said 2,600 years ago, "for it's not the same river and he's not the same man". Suppose you got Elon Musk to give you a half hour of his time as a mentor. Would he be able to help? Probably not - that wouldn't even be near enough time to learn about your business and life situation to be able to give sound advice.

I started thinking about this when I came across this remarkable video: "Why you shouldn't trust successful people's advice" - it is a devastating, almost mathematical takedown of what I think are some of the base assumptions about mentoring - that if you get your information and emulate successful people, you too will be successful. https://goo.gl/LuCSvV

It also cleared up a mystery that has perplexed me for some time: why in the world do people ask me for business advice - I am hardly a stunning model of success. Considering the information in this video, however, it does make a certain amount of sense. When you are thinking of buying some product, do you only talk with those who have had great success with that product and love it? - of course not - what if for every person who liked the product hundreds hated it? Talking only to those who love the product would give you highly distorted information.

Still, we know that mentoring does work at least sometimes, but do we know why? It occurred to me that maybe it isn't just the mentoring helping, maybe it is something else. We already know that humans respond to the simple act of being observed. This was established in the 1940's at General Electric with the famous Hawthorne experiments - a team investigating factors related to employee performance found that no matter what they did employee performance improved.

The simple act of "observing" changed employees behavior - usually for the better. Because of this, the team doing the research had to give up their experiment concluding that "you can't study people without changing the results". This became a kind of "Heisenberg uncertainty principle" for people: you can't study - or even observe any system related to people without changing that system. There can be no neutral observer.

There is another "substance" in mentoring programs that could also be causing this success and that is simple "accountability". People are always advising entrepreneurs to get an "accountability parter" and it is also fairly well documented that this works. Could some mentoring programs be adding this element almost by accident?

I've noticed that in my community there is a great deal of competition for mentors and most people people don't get one - which is why I have always been a big believer in "peer mentoring" programs, though they seem to be few and far between. I could go on here but I would like to know your opinion, or experience. Do you have a mentor - or have you tried to get one? What has worked, and what hasn't?

30 comments:

  1. Hi Rob, I know it can be a challenge with so much coach/mentor noise in the market place, hence no surprise at confusion.
    In answer to your question, yes, I do have one main mentor plus others along the way for specific needs as they arise. I have been and continue to be, mentored by the world's leader in human potential and success. What do you personally want from having a mentor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'uniontera number 3 about entertainment' https://youtu.be/67WQImzzoZg This is my axiomatization of debut. Your so called Got talent. In my opinion, self-existence is possible but self-born is not possible. I think so. Yes, it's a starting line. Your story is not a remix but an origin. And there are so many different stages and different coachs. Just remember it. Good coach will never kill your individuality. And there is no good coach but yourself. If you treat yourself genuinely, finish line remains of starting line forever. I am the Uniontera Ja.
    "Photon would be no exception."

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you've been online for more than 5 hours, you've
    probably heard of the fastest growing industry in the
    world right now - ECommerce.
    Here's the thing though..
    Most of what's being taught about e-commerce is a
    dying model that has no future Don't even think about doing e-commerce before you watch these videos here. fourpercent.com - ECOM Optin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good question Rob. I've wondered the same thing as well. I haven't directly asked anyone to be my mentor, but I can definitely use the support from someone that's in business and thriving and that knows about entrepreneurship. I feel that the accountability partnership is what pushes the person in the direction to complete their goals. Otherwise you're just talking to a person about your issues and successes in business with no goals and directions for next steps. I've heard people say they have mentors and in some cases it's been successful people they've never met OR net once at a conference and that is baffling to me. To me it's all about having an accountability partner to keep pushing you to complete your goals and into the next steps. I'm going to check out your video as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had both good and bad experiences. It is important to have the mentee initiate contact or set up regularly scheduled meetings. I also recommend an agenda of sorts to keep things rolling toward the end goal. Otherwise, you can spend much of your time socializing and less time focusing on the task at hand. Not that socializing is bad, but make sure the mentor/mentee relationship completes its goals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We use mentorship as an important building block during or pre service teacher training programme. The in service teachers at selected schools are trainined in the art of mentoring. We borrowed a lot from Finland given their success with teaching schools. It does however remain difficult to get the right mix of mentee mentor. Not all best practice teachers are good mentors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you've been online for more than 5 hours, you've
    probably heard of the fastest growing industry in the
    world right now - ECommerce.

    Here's the thing though..
    Most of what's being taught about e-commerce is a
    dying model that has no future Don't even think about doing e-commerce before you watch these videos here. fourpercent.com - ECOM Optin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oscar F DeLeon Jr You mean you founded a chapter of Vistage right - not the whole organization. I understand they have fallen apart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi , Thank You so much for connecting I think highly of your profile. Please count me as an ally in this Great Work.

    If you've been online for more than 5 hours, you've
    probably heard of the fastest growing industry in the
    world right now - ECommerce.

    Here's the thing though..
    Most of what's being taught about e-commerce is a
    dying model that has no future Don't even think about doing e-commerce before you watch these videos here. fourpercent.com - ECOM Optin

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's seems to be a huge buzz about e-commerce.
    I'm seriously considering starting an e-com business,
    especially after what I just saw here

    fourpercent.com - ECOM Optin

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rob Gordon​ I find mentoring helpful as guidance. Most of my "mentors" have no experience in my field, however, being business owners they have a wealth of knowledge & experience! I tap into that to ask about thought processes, working through issues, getting stuck, changing from an employee to self-employed mindset. Those sort of things. Also to point me in the direction of the resources! Hope this info is helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's seems to be a huge buzz about e-commerce.
    I'm seriously considering starting an e-com business,
    especially after what I just saw here: fourpercent.com - ECOM Optin

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mentoring is as important as inducting a person to walk and work within the limits of an organisation's policies and procedures, mentoring equips one with self confidence, control and competence basing on core values of real life with a clear sense of DIRECTION May God bless you and your family in Jesus Christ mighty name I pray Amen victory belongs to Jesus Christ of Nazareth king of kings and lord of lords
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/mqfJmh1ttud231MMrF4oD3SohXtgjv6g2NWfRiwxJL9_Mw9jTp3h7BRZ-U2iAhqy87lfzZc9p3fohINMD66EeLwFDWyo9Qa-7VM=s0

    ReplyDelete
  14. A mentor from this single persons perspective is giving as much as we have learned, and given our student all that we possibly can, as tools.
    Yet no man can make another the same.
    One man's success can be another's failure.
    We can teach by action. Our very presence and support to what this student and every other needs, our full attention, our time to really get to know each other, getting to know this persons goals and dreams.
    And what in reality can actually be achieved.
    I am no mentor, yet I know that if I was one for any person, all that I could honestly provide is my time, my one more to cheer him on.
    And every stepping stool in which I know, to help this person find his own path. We cannot ever teach another by the path in which we took to figure out our own potential.
    Yet those tools can only do good and help by being there for when they are needed

    ReplyDelete
  15. Years ago, as a junior financial analyst at Chrysler, a man named Jerry York was my mentor. He was brilliant and pragmatic. I remember one day he asked me out for drinks after work to talk about things.
    I remember waiting a long time - after work for him was delayed by a late meeting with some guy named Lee Iaccoca.
    That evening he peppered me with questions about personnel issues that made my brain ache. Over time, he showed me that being a senior player at a major corporation was not a multiple choice exam, but a very complex essay examination. I remember him to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not a big fan of "Mentorships" because it devalues the time of both parties in many instances.

    However, if you are seeking to be mentored, here's what you need to learn. Every industry has a different structure, therefore the daily schedule and duties will vary. All industries have a certain set of Procedures, Paperwork and Process. This is what you need to learn, immediately. You must learn those parameters first. Then, you begin to learn through the experiencence of engagement and activity.

    If for whatever reason, you are not being paid a salary, gain knowledge every day. In the first thirty days, you should know 'how' it works. In the first ninety (90) days, you should be making money.

    Paperwork
    Process
    Procedures

    Don't let anyone waste your time. Time management is an integral part of your success.

    Good luck!

    J. R. ~
    Success requires teamwork

    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_dVxNSOkNmOozYjHzmpqcIOoMkOm4mw2ikmMUl-Fc_T0rJv0yOCEDCjiYnc0_SBZTmt-o37S82flJWLoPeH8B1zJy78lrGV3USDm=s0

    ReplyDelete
  17. OK, I have to admit, I rarely get excited about something
    but this got me pumped! It's about starting your own
    e-commerce business - so awesome! Check it:

    fourpercent.com - ECOM Optin

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have had a mix response with the mentors I have used over the years majority have not been worth the money. However I am sure there some great mentors out there so we cant put them all down

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey if any of you would like to start your own successful
    commerce business, I highly recommend checking out
    this training before you make any moves. Thank me later.

    http://workwithalishanow.com/EComEntrepreneur

    ReplyDelete
  20. The first rule of seeking a "Mentor":

    1. DO NOT PAY THEM!

    EVER.

    The role of a " Mentor" is to teach you the parameters of the industry, which includes the execution of transactions. That means 'closing deals'. They show you how to make money.

    Don't let people waste your time and take your money.

    J. R. ~
    Money Never Sleeps
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/m3Ch-VvewOOyCh7FxWlbsW3tahmbK1C9QurNqSBpYYQBApI69VMwd3GaO_s2_6etyB73NiKlC34FXOI2HWgbOYtjFX1AXkxNb3NR=s0

    ReplyDelete
  21. Many people are struggling to get any results online
    because they feel overwhelmed, confused and frustrated.

    If you can relate to any of those, there’s real hope and
    perhaps a true solution for you!

    Watch this video fourpercent.com - ECOM Optin

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't think you can force this special relationship, which is often frustrating. "Creating" a solid mentor/ mentee(?) relationship is what I think of, there needs to be a lot of listening on both sides, the usual setting of targets, goals, planning, check points, re adjustment accountability.
    I don't think there can be any set governance. A good mentor, a guide, much like a therapist. I expect to learn as much as I help both sides should be willing to constantly adjust.
    A strong business person should not have to have expertise in any field they mentor, there is a process, just never the same path (the river and the man philosophy)
    I love to think I help anyone asking me an intriguing question, the first step in the relationship is questioning.

    ReplyDelete
  23. SEO Mastery

    Presented by world's top SEO expert - Josh Earp. Josh is a marketing consultant to multi-billionaires, TV Stars and Celebrities.

    He teaches billionaires how to make more billions by leveraging the power of organic search through Search Engine Optimization.

    So whether you are selling your own product or you’re promoting something as an affiliate - these skills will certainly elevate you head and shoulders above your competition, allowing you to direct massive amounts of traffic from search engines including YouTube and channel them to any website of your choice.

    Just imagine the possibilities!

    fourpercent.com - SEOM Enroll - Four Percent

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't have a mentor but, I looking for one.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Rob I hope you are well. A long time since I dropped by. Funnily enough I am now the Facilitator of a small business mentoring scheme. I can relate to your confusion as I see the definition of mentor and coach being interchanged and blurred each time I hear a definition. Of course I believe in Mentoring and I am loving the results the businesses are getting. Let me know if I can be of any help.

    ReplyDelete